Darkwing Duck retells the tale of Dr. Bushroot's origin. Tormented and mocked by his colleagues one time too many, plant scientist Reginald Bushroot, now a half-plant and half-duck, vows revenge on his tormentors who bullied him.
Darkwing: There were six pairs of socks.Some polka dotted underwear and...Hey.Wait a minute.
Launchpad: Heh.Sorry DW.That’s my laundry list.
Darkwing: You’ll never get away with this Dr Bushroot.
Bushroot: Oh.Who’s gonna stop me.
Darkwing: I am.The terror that flaps in the night!The termite that devours your floorboards.That is to say.Darkwing Duck.
Launchpad: (Talked Muffled).
Darkwing: I was thinking the same thing.Let’s Get Dangerous.
Bushroot: I’ll give you Dangerous.
Home video releasesEdit
- Darkwing Duck: Volume 1
- The title is a reference to the story Beauty and the Beast (which was adapted as a Disney film that was released just two months after this episode premiered).
- Darkwing says the combination to the Darkwing Files Vault is 36R-42L, but when he looks on his foot, it says 15L-36R-62L.
- Doctors Larson and Gary are homages. Their names are in tribute to Gary Larson's The Far Side and are designed to resemble the Pinheads, any of a number of unintelligent people with small pointy heads and thick glasses which appear frequently in The Far Side. This is the first of many Far Side call-outs and tributes through the show.
- In maintaining the plant theme, Dr. Rhoda Dendron's name is a portmanteu of Rhododendron, a popular genus of beautiful flowering plants.
- Bushroot’s origin name was Dr Reggie (Reginald) Bushroot
- Bushroot’s origin is revealed in this episode.